Freelancer and Solopreneur: Graphic Artist Susan Straub-Martin
City, State, Zip
I am transmitting this cover letter & résumé to announce my interest in becoming a member of your design team. I am exploring new opportunities using my design & management talents to their fullest potential by aiding in the development and growth of your company, through design, client relations, and good business acumen.
Working in various types of companies throughout my career, I have garnered some unique experiences for a graphic designer. These experiences include designing for companies like Disney and Sunkist to client relations and brand building for Apple Inc. The experiences at Apple led to creating and designing curriculum for adult learners in the field of Graphic Design.
Recent Career Positions
Sr. Designer / Art Director / Project Manager / Mentor / Graphic Design Instructor / Business Manager
• Freelance Graphic Designer – Print
• Freelance Art Director
• Award Winning Illustrator – hand drawing and computer
• Expert in Adobe Creative Suite® / Painter® / iLife and iWork®
• Apple Expert
• Proficient in Microsoft Office®
• Client Relations – Clients included SOHO (Small Office Home Office) to fortune 500 companies
• Account Management / Client Relations Management (CRM)
• Problem Solving / Client System Solutions
• Small Business Marketing Instructor – (Classroom and One-to One)
I am looking forward to our interview + portfolio review.
Please review my internet portfolio at http://www.strauberrygraphics.com
Thank you for all of your time and consideration.
• Expert: Adobe CS4 (Specialties Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign), Elements, Painter
• Expert: iLife, iWork,
• Proficient: Flash, FinalCut Express, Microsoft Office®
• Graphic Designer-Print
• Art Director
• WordPress Websites
• Award Winning & Published Illustrator
• Traditional & Digital Sketching / Drawing
• Social Media Marketing
• Concept to Completion
• Presentation / Curriculum Design
• Client Relations / CRM
• Team Building
• Creative Thinking / Problem Solving
Branding, Social Media Branding (Custom Branded: Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, etc.), Web 2.0, SEO, marketing, Logo design, Business Packages (Business Cards / Business Stationary Custom email signatures, White Papers, Letterhead, Thank You Notes, Newsletters, Brochures), Custom Illustrations, Catalogs, Brochure, Posters, Promotions, Presentations (Keynote / PowerPoint), Book Cover Design
CURRENT CLIENT LIST
Diane Kern Feng Shui Consultant, Judy Dowling, Marilyn Mallet Contemporary Art, Divorce for Grownups, Northwest Looking Glass, Real Estate For the Birds, Singing Heart Coaching, Résumé s That Résumé Careers, IntelAct Consulting, Thought-Dog-Consulting, Yvonne Dalke, Terri Hermes, Larry Miller, I Am Sound & Video, Warner Brothers, Disney, Mondo Publishing, Intuit, Upper Deck, Sunkist, San Diego Zoo, Woodland Park Zoo, Immunex, Techno Divas, Fox-C Productions, Chinook Newsletter, Art2Arch.biz
FREELANCE PROJECTS AGENCY / IN-HOUSE – 5+ YEARS
Eddie Bauer – Catalog Design 2000
Washington Athletic Club – Anniversary Promotions Design
Hornall Anderson Design Works – Layout Design Print
Humongous Entertainment – Sell sheets for games
Pigs on Parade Seattle – Illustration for Pigs on Parade Celebration
Jenny Craig – Food Packaging
Grossmont Center Mall – Layout for advertising, mall signage, marketing pieces
• Working with various agencies I gained a creative portfolio that consists of a wide range of projects. Most notable was a mall project that consisted of signage, print ads, and an 18 month campaign for the center. I created a series of icons for their smaller shops and worked with the two National Brands (Macy’s and Target) that anchored the mall for a successful rebrand of the mall and a high ROI.
• I developed a line of greeting cards to benefit the CRES program through the San Diego Zoo. This line of black and white cards and limited edition prints were sold at the zoo and it’s partner zoo; The Wild Animal Park. The limited edition pieces were auctioned at their yearly fund raising events. The results gained more recognition for the program and raised more funding for the cause.
• Working as a professional illustrator for 20+ years I have garnered international recognition, sold and created work for prestigious companies, plus created a signature style and product line. I researched and developed a line of plush toys based on my published children’s book characters that I illustrated and authored. I have developed custom fabrics, ornaments, greeting cards and a full line of gift products.
• In a team environment I created work for multiple home developers and retail centers that included signage for the development, billboards, brochures, outdoor banners, and sales center materials. The original contract was for one week. In appreciation for excellent work, my contract was extended to over 18 months. I later returned to train their interior design department how to use Photoshop and Illustrator for their presentations to clients.
• Working with the marketing director for a local telecom company, I expertly branded their foray into the internet age, by creating a likable, friendly character to guide their clients into using the internet. This character became the company’s portal and marketing for the project. I continued to work with the director on several other marketing campaigns.
• I have worked with brand standards to create packaging for Sunkist Fruit Gems. Working with Sunkist to create a produce type package design for it’s “gems” of candy, gained the company a new area of the supermarket, the produce department. The packaging was so successful the original design is still in use today some 15 years later.
• I have designed curriculum for teaching adult learners in the field of “Marketing Your Small Business.” for a local Community College. This lead to working with the Director of the Graphic Design department and additional curriculum designers to creating a new Graphic Design program for the college. Additionally I have lead the curriculum design for a new design class on Corporate Presentations in which students create an entire brand for a company over the course of the quarter, helping them build a real world example for their final portfolios.
Strauberry Graphic Design – San Diego / Seattle (August 1984 – Present)
Freelance Graphic Designer / Art Director
Project Types: Branding, logo development, graphic design for corporate clients, catalog, brochure, posters, promotions, boutique websites, marketing, presentations, illustration, gift items, greeting cards, children’s book development, and commissions for artwork.
Branded Web / Social Media Sites
Bellevue College – Washington (May 2009 – Present)
• Marketing Your Small Business
• The Business of Graphic Design
• Print Production / Portfolio Review
• Corporate Presentation Design
• Color in a Digital Age
• Graphic Design Basics
Apple Inc. – Washington (April 2003 – January 2009)
Managing Business Partner / Mentor
• Technical Advisor
• Project Manager
• Staff Mentoring & Training
Big Fish Promotions – Washington (June1997 – Nov2001)
Client Relations / Jr. Art Director / Graphic Designer
• Built strong client relationships.
• Provided clients with staffing solution recommendations.
• Recruited creative professionals plus reviewed résumé s and portfolios for presentation to clients.
• Marketing & Promotions
• Built strong client relationships.
• Provided design solutions.
• University of California La Jolla
• University of Arizona